Town Clerk & Responsible Finance Officer
Salary Scale LC3 SCP 42-45 (£45,859 - £49,213)
-dependent on experience and qualifications-
This is an exciting opportunity to become part of a growing and developing Town Council in a large attractive town in South East in Northumberland. The new Town Clerk will serve a town with a population of approximately 28,000 and will work alongside 18 enthusiastic Councillors and a team of 5 dedicated staff members.
As the Chief Officer you will be responsible for providing effective leadership of staff, services, assets and facilities. The Council manages a budget of £975,000 with a current 2021/22 precept of £798,060.
Ashington is currently undergoing town centre regeneration work with key major infrastructure projects also on the horizon, including the re-introduction passenger rail services from the town to Newcastle Upon Tyne via the Northumberland Line. The successful candidate will also work with and lead the Council in strengthening the existing partnership arrangements with the principal authority, Northumberland County Council, that will see further and continual improvement in the town.
We are looking for someone who:
- Has proven experience as a Town Clerk or Deputy Town Clerk or Senior manager in a large local council or similar organisation in the public sector and already is, or very soon will be, CiLCA qualified.
- Is highly organised, confident, creative, unflappable, approachable, focused, quick thinking and community minded.
- Adapts well to change and is a good communicator and people manager at all levels whether drawing up reports, policies, strategies, action plans, business cases, press releases or social media posts.
- Is thorough and focused in all aspects of work, keeping on top of legal obligations, legislative changes and also sector-wide best practice examples.
- Is familiar and used to financial accounting and analysis.
- Can provide strong leadership and build a wide range of positive working relationships with Councillors, staff and key partner organisations across the public, private and voluntary sectors.
An Application Pack with Full Job Description and Person Specification, Application Form and Equality and Diversity Monitoring Form can be downloaded at the following link:
For more information or an informal discussion, please contact Mike Slaughter, Town Clerk & RFO on email@example.com or phone 01670.624521 / 0772 5800 972.
The closing date for all applications is noon on Friday 27 August 2021.